Monday, May 31, 2021

Bonaventure Cemetery

 The Bonaventure Cemetery is located in Savannah, Georgia.

It is a must to visit for the Spanish moss lover.
There are some stunning, unique headstones like this below with the oxidized copper kelp layered on top.
March is the best time for seeing a sea of azaleas in bloom here against the moss. Since we were here late in the season, only a few blooms were hanging on.

The most unique tribute I have ever seen in a cemetery is this of a runner. I imagine this is what she looked like! She makes you smile even though this is supposed to be a somber environment.

This cross lying down in the center is also an eye catcher.
If you have read the National Bestseller, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt, you may remember this iconic book cover.

The photo was taken at this cemetery. This statue no longer resides here but can be seen at Telfair Museum of Art in Savannah. She is Bird Girl sculpted by Sylvia Shaw Judson. 

If you go, the cemetery is located at:

330 Bonaventure Rd
Savannah, GA 31404 
Open daily from 8am - 5pm

website

Have a marvelous day/evening (wherever you are on the clock)! ~Val

17 comments:

  1. It looks like a beautiful cemetery and that is very cool about the book cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a famous book cover! Good book too -- I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to re-read that one since it has been over 20 years now since reading it!

      Delete
  3. The Spanish moss looks wonderful.

    The tribute to the runner is very nice, and yes, you can't help smiling.

    Enjoy this last day of May and all good wishes for the new month of June.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow this reminds of the famous graveyard I went to in Paris. Great photos.And try the gel decals they are great.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cemeteries like this with wonderful, interesting looking monuments and statues. I'd enjoy wandering here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is a beauty! Worth visiting if you ever go to Savannah! It is a short drive from the historic downtown.

      Delete
  6. How did I miss this post? I love cemeteries! This place is amazing! I love the runner girl and the large cross! I would love to see Spanish moss one day in my life! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always loved the look of Spanish moss so it is amazing to see it regularly since I never saw it during my first 40+ years! We live 2 hours inland but get to see it hanging from the trees along the rivers here. Seeing Spanish moss in person would be a great bucket list item!

      Delete
  7. Such wonderful artworks in the cemetery.
    The statue in the book cover is fantastic and the runner as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful cemetery. My friend and I love to visit old cemeteries! I was never interested in them until I found an old family one in the woods next to my house. Now, I'm obsessed!

    ReplyDelete

First Thursday on Main

First Thursday on Main of June 2023 in Columbia, SC was filled with amusement! Each month, this is a celebration of art, music, food, local ...