Sunday, October 24, 2021

Scarecrows in The Garden

Scarecrows in The Garden is a quirky exhibit I enjoy each October. Hosted by Historic Columbia, it is set on the grounds of the Robert Mills House in SC.

Families, schools and organizations donate their creativity by making a scarecrow for the garden.

These vary from typical scarecrows to more abstract work like this PTO bake sale below.

Children's ideas are showing in these unique set ups. Take a look in this mirror face and become an instant princess.

Having been up for weeks now, some pieces are falling over due to the elements, but most have remained in great shape.

I love that some have meaning.

Below looks like a big question mark until you see its significance.

Suicide prevention and the ability to talk about it is so important.

This witch has a sweet face. A good witch perhaps?!

I wouldn't want to mess this with scarecrow below. She looks mean!

My favorite is Scooby Doo themed since I was a big fan growing up. The whole team is here! I always identified with Velma prior to lasik surgery since I used to have to feel around for my glasses when my vision was so poor, just like Velma did.
We haven't done many fall activities this year so this was entertaining. We attempted to go leaf peeping in the mountains but there were no hotel rooms left. Next year we will have to plan ahead!

Have a marvelous day/evening (wherever you are on the clock)! ~Val

12 comments:

  1. They did a great job at with the scarecrow exhibit! I didn't get a chance to visit the garden this year, but it looks fun! Have a great week Val!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun Fall event. The Scooby Doo theme was so well put together... and the princess idea was really clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love scarecrows and people get so very creative. What a fun event to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! Great to see people getting creative. I also loved Scooby Doo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! I love how this project involves children as well as adults.

      Delete
  5. look scary, and attractive....
    love them all...
    great works

    ReplyDelete

First Thursday on Main

First Thursday on Main of June 2023 in Columbia, SC was filled with amusement! Each month, this is a celebration of art, music, food, local ...