Monday, December 19, 2022

Riverbanks

Some photos from recent visits to the Riverbanks Botanical Gardens and zoo.

Even on overcast days, it is filled with beauty.
The tropical plants are at their largest around September and October. Most species like the banana plants die back to the ground in winter.
These cheerful yellow flowers command attention.

Below is Angel's Trumpet. I usually forget to take a photo of the plant label so I know what they are but I remembered with this marvelous one!


A 360 view of part of the gardens in September. Jim and I often have the gardens to ourselves when we stop by on weekday mornings (I probably shouldn't share that secret).

I have chronicled the drama of the white rhinos in the past. Nothing has changed so I don't think we will see a baby here in the future. These are the 2 ladies who get along. 

Giraffes are just amazing!

The baboons are usually just scratching themselves or cleaning insects off each other. However we witnessed one in deep thought! 
A super tiny Carolina Anole. We saw tons of babies this year and not many full grown. It must have been a difficult year for these little guys!
A papaya tree.

The bog garden in early fall.
Here is the bog garden in December.
Camellias are now in full bloom for the winter months. This ginko tree was still hanging on to its fall foliage at the beginning of December. It is such a beautiful canvas for the blooms.
Before leaf clean up!
Have a marvelous day/evening (wherever you are on the clock)! ~Val

10 comments:

  1. Those angel's trumpets are amazing, aren't they! I like the 360 view video too -- so beautiful! And I love giraffes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That botanical garden is so beautiful, I would love to visit sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow this is a beautiful wonderful place and you captured it so well. And yes still beautiful under gray skies.

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been to Riverbanks in so long! I miss visiting the zoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The botanical garden looks a wonderful place to visit.
    I enjoyed your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. The botanical garden looks a wonderful place to visit.
    I enjoyed your photographs.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

First Thursday on Main

First Thursday on Main of June 2023 in Columbia, SC was filled with amusement! Each month, this is a celebration of art, music, food, local ...